Friday, November 23, 2007

Under the Weather

It's chilly and snowy in my hometown today and I'm remembering my childhood in upstate New York. My town was nestled in a beautiful setting but with one of the worst climates known to mankind. This was verified by Mr. Ross, my tobacco stained 8th grade science teacher, a trustworthy scholar.

The winters were long, wet, and cold, and I was required to greet the rickety, drafty schoolbus every morning at 7:30, not my best time of day. This was after being up most of the night in order to concentrate on my homework in the quiet. I've always been a night person. I was born at midnight, after all, wailing and ready to go.

Then I would board the bus in my bleary state, and since I was on the end of the line, all the faces would look up and stare in unison, not all of them my fans. And this as a prelude to the 46 minute dictatorial sections of my day ahead. Lunch at the same time from the same godawful cafeteria. In contrast, things are pretty good now. I don't have to get up at 6 AM. Plus, I'm no longer involved in the battle between my parents concerning the temperature of the house. Mom liked it cold, Dad liked it hot.
I like it reasonably warm.

I have some errands to run but I best wait until Midnite Madness as Black Friday winds down. The roads are going to be frightfully congested under these weather conditions. One good thing, though. All the burning rubber of the day should mean no black ice. Ahh, sweet comfort.
Illustration: Ponder Goembe

7 Comments:

Blogger Tseka said...

Winter slipped silently past Ulli-Maki, under the duvet to tickle my toes. Brrrr.

Icicles hung from my plants, and the bird water was frozen solid. Sigh. 85 two days ago. I like it both ways. This rapid shift is quite a shock to the system. All the systems, poor plants and trees. It's a tough climate.

Gorgeous full moon. There is nothing like the night sky in the high desert.

23/11/07 5:12 PM  
Blogger jm said...

OMG! I forgot about the moon! How could I? Gemini. No wonder we're yakking so easily.

And Uranus direct. I woke up today with an insight that transported my mind to the netherrealms. Concerning my N1. 14 degrees, the exact point where Saturn was when Pluto entered Sag in '95 conjunct Jupiter. I have a post on this that you will find interesting. There is a major event coming for me next week and I think the Uranus turn is right on time now that I think about it. I need a twist.

Bird water. heheh.

23/11/07 5:21 PM  
Blogger jm said...

Mars is moving off your own Uranus and my IC today. I think I'm seeing some connection. Very interested in what the retrograde has in store.

23/11/07 5:23 PM  
Blogger jm said...

Health is the greatest possession. Contentment is the greatest treasure. Confidence is the greatest friend.

Lao Tzu

24/11/07 4:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too skipped the shopping frenzy. I'm tired of it.

We also passed on hosting Thanksgiving dinner this year and just took it easy. Now that Christmas is already in my face, well, I've decided to not bother putting up the fake tree this year. I felt this way last year but was persuaded to put it up anyway. This year there's no one around who cares one way or the other, so it'll be easier to just forget about it.

I may even get a real tree this year, a small one that I can recycle into the garden after it serves as shelter for birds from January to March. We'll see.

24/11/07 6:21 AM  
Blogger jm said...

Joe this is good. It takes one of us at a time to break the oppression. It's not that there is anything wrong with these activities, it's the enforcement. The obedience. The lack of questioning. The chip at the self esteem and autonomy. With Uranus turning direct I think others will feel the desire to break with tradition. Traditions are strong enough. They don't need everybody all the time. And freedom is not always easy to establish. Besides, these events come every every year so you can tune in and out and still get enough. The Uranus factor is interesting. Along with the Mars retro in Cancer and family truths. Sometimes there is a thrill in just the act of liberation. Perhaps economic circumstance will eventually bring this about. Alternative ways of celebrating the cold dark days of the year could get creative.

People think Uranus is about political liberation but freedom takes many forms. I have so much Uranus that I broke with all traditions early on, weddings and funerals included, and I've been forgivien for all of it. It's understood and accepted. But I was sure of my choices. That's important.

A real little tree sounds good.:o) I have a 12 inch fake one I might study.

welcomed news.

24/11/07 2:55 PM  
Blogger jm said...

The more I think about it, the more interesting it looks. The Mars retrograde, the family, the past, Jupiter going into traditional Capricorn and the NN going into Aquarius on the same day just before Christmas. Dec. 19. Fascinating.

In my town shopping was way down yesterday, but usually they exceed the previous year's spending by the end. With the NN in Aquarius, I wonder what the underlying fabric will be. I do know that Pluto(shared moneys) going into Capricorn(restriction) is weighing heavily in the background, which I think is a good thing.

Let me also add that on the 19th, Saturn turns retrograde.

24/11/07 3:12 PM  

<< Home