Monday, June 23, 2008

The Fickle Sun

Those of you familiar with me know that I'm not much for maintenance. I clean only what's necessary, on occasion, and I don't have a yard. Mowing would be out of the question as would be watering. Through the years, though, I've gardened when I could, and when I moved to the city I had flowers on my balcony every summer. My latest home is weird.
I get late afternoon sun and now my trees are shading even that, so my petunias did nothing. Zip. Ridiculous. And I'm not crazy about shade plants. So I said, "Aw, to hell with it," and I put some fake ivy out there. No watering at all. Complete freedom. Perfect.
But still, every year I come to this point and ask myself, "Should I get some pansies or something?
Or should I get another fake something or other and preserve my freedom?"
I'll take a look around this evening.

4 Comments:

Blogger Diane L said...

Hey jm! As someone who gets ridiculously in over her head with gardening, I say go with the fake pretties and keep your options open!! :-D

Love reading all your wonderful posts on Obama, though I know he will have a snake pit to wade through if [or when . . . ] he gets elected.

23/6/08 10:12 AM  
Blogger jm said...

Oh how funny neith! I had a feeling I'd here from you on this. Thought about you when I wrote it. Excellent advice as usual.

He's already in the snake pit, poor thing. They're hissing from every direction. Grassroots cobras, corporate diamondbacks, rattling right wingers, black mambo fathers, and assorted pythons and cottonmouths. Michelle'll get 'em.

23/6/08 2:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One such snake, the "Focus on the Family" guy James Dobson is accusing Obama of "distorting" the Bible. Oh honey, puh-leeze. Pot, meet kettle.

I too get over my head with the garden. By about this time it's accelerated to warp speed and I have to give up any semblance of control. It's a good metaphor for life.

23/6/08 6:18 PM  
Blogger jm said...

Distorting the Bible????

ROFL!

The garden is a perfect metaphor. The years I had grubworms were the hard ones. And I still remember my first encounter with a tomato hornworm in NOLA. That was an especially hard year!
My area of expertise was the green pepper.

23/6/08 9:59 PM  

<< Home