Saturday, August 09, 2008

14. Ta Yu

Possession in Great Measure
Supreme success
My one in two month I Ching reading revealed this gem of a hexagram. I get a bump whenever I see the title. The judgement says "power is expressing itself in a graceful and controlled way." 6 in the 5th place was included:
He whose truth is accessible, yet dignified has good fortune. The situation is very favorable. People are being won not by coercion but by unaffected sincerity. However, benevolence alone is not sufficient at the time of possession in great measure, for insolence might begin to spread. Insolence must be kept in bounds by dignity, then good fortune is assured.
Good enough. But I guess the message is really trying to get through since the hexagram changed to 10. Lu: Treading (Conduct)
The situation is really difficult. That which is strongest and that which is weakest are close together. The weak follows behind the strong and it worries it. The strong, however, acquiesces and does not hurt the weak, because the contact is in good humor and harmless. In terms of a human situation one is handling wild intractable people. In such cases one's purpose will be achieved if one behaves with decorum.
Thus the superior man discriminates between high and low, and thereby fortifies the thinking of the people.

2 Comments:

Blogger TaosJohn said...

Okay, you win a prize. I can't recall ever seeing a blog post about an I Ching reading. Now this is cool.

I don't fling the Ching too often these days. It's so COLD, tells it like it is. So if I'm really pulling for a certain outcome, the I Ching is too dangerous a way to plumb the unconscious.

I have never known it to be anything but right on. COLD, I say! If you don't want the word, leave those hexagrams alone.

9/8/08 9:52 PM  
Blogger jm said...

HA HA!!! "fling the ching". I love it!

You are so right. It's the only divination tool I trust and this is how I deal with it - I consult it after I've made up my mind on things as a verification and I do it sparingly. When I'm confused and not ready it gives me a rare vague response ... "the superior man is full of shit" or something in that vein.

But lately, I'm taking a new approach. Not asking advice, just curious. I've been getting the best results ever! Oddly, I'm never afraid of the truth this treasure trove gives me.

After a particularly horrendous week and the worst rainstorm I've ever seen in this town I drew this last night after almost losing my subcompact in the streets of Denver. It was most reassuring. Supreme success is something I can live with.

But most of all, my dream come true ... seeing someone take the high road in public ... was given the nod by that cold hexagramic Mother. I thought this applied well to everyone in view of current events. I used to read personal stuff and now I read collective. No wonder it's horrendous!

So if I'm really pulling for a certain outcome

I think I'm going to have to quit doing that!

9/8/08 11:21 PM  

<< Home