Saturday, October 21, 2006

Saturday Night Fish Fry

An age old tradition in the Deep South where my beloved Blues was born, was dancing, drinking, gambling, and fried fish, most often catfsh from the local waters. Not for the faint, these weekly celebrations were a law unto themselves unless things truly got out of hand and outside intervention was required. It's fascinating to see the internal rules created by all sociological groups. And how these raucous parties preserved these struggling people's sanity in some way while providing raw emotional release that would scare many straight laced people out of their wits.
This fine lady in her charming abode, though, seems to be releasing her fish into the heavens rather than frying them to that perfect brown crisp.
Illustration by Nicoletta Ceccoli

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You sure they aren't flying in for a landing? They could be those spacey Pisces-type fish.

21/10/06 8:00 PM  
Blogger jm said...

I think they are those spacey Pisces types. No telling where they're headed.
Lively little things.

21/10/06 8:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not this one -- I'm about to call it a night though I've been working on neith's bday present this evening.

21/10/06 9:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's two hours later than that time there. And I'm yawning more than I'm typing.

21/10/06 9:13 PM  
Blogger Diane L said...

Not this one -- I'm about to call it a night though I've been working on neith's bday present this evening.

oh, oh!! ???? :-) I love presents!!! :-)

21/10/06 9:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ummm...my presents are rarely on time however. But I'm going to do my best. And they are usually hand-made.

21/10/06 9:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anything handmade is very appreciated around these parts. :o)

22/10/06 6:09 AM  

<< Home