Thursday, July 03, 2008

The Center

L.centrum , GR.kentron - point
The point or place equally distant from the extremities.
A point from which effects, influences, etc., proceed.

"In astrology, the symbol of the Sun represents the circle of spirit with the addition of a dot at the center. This pivotal point makes the figure vital and dynamic. It shows that spirit has manifested itself through particular form. The Sun represents the individualized principle in nature. It is the nucleus of any entity and the determinant of its identity.
All existence involves an interplay between a central point containing an infinite number of dimensions, and an infinite number of points of no dimension."
That's a lot. So the way I see it, it doesn't matter where you are. I thought one was always trying to find the center. So then why are some people so afraid of it? Do they fear losing themselves there or do we find ourselves? Or neither, if the assumption that identity resides in the middle is false. Is there some magnetic force repelling the individual from the inner sanctum? What's the correct direction? What's right about left? Sometimes I find myself agreeing with the idea that there's folly in this, although I do find myself attracted to such a place so replete with dimension.
From the Divine Astrologer: Marcia Moore & Mark Douglas
Painting: Space, Rudolph Bauer, 1932

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Could it be that the center does not have the comfort of something to which to attach? It floats in the center, detached, untethered to anything except itself. That's scary for a lot of people, to seem so unanchored, but in the center there exists a perfect freedom.

3/7/08 11:40 AM  
Blogger jm said...

Oh joe, yes. Yes, yes, yes. So elegantly and perfectly articulated, even I am speechless.

3/7/08 2:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes things like that come into my mind full-grown, like Athena emerging from Zeus' head.

3/7/08 7:15 PM  
Blogger jm said...

Athena emerging is one of my favorite images. I have headaches before songwriting sprees and I always think of my head splitting to release the creativity.

Perfect analogy. Your statement struck me as complete and true.

3/7/08 9:58 PM  

<< Home