Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Sagittarius and the Family of Man

A Mile High and Getting Higher
On Obama's nomination speech in Denver
Mayor John Hickenlooper said the city would accomodate Obama if that's where he wants to give his speech. "From the point of view of the city of Denver, if the Obama team were to request us to go in this direction, we would move heaven and earth because it's a historic moment."
I promise you the end of Pluto in Sagittarius will be enriching. The sign of Sagittarius reaches upward and outward, the human's first experience beyond the familiar, closed, interpersonal, when the seeker connects to the larger family, broader horizons, and finally to the god-figure. A rocket ship to the cosmos, inclusive, ever-expanding, and dimension altering.
I have a Moon-Jupiter conjunction in Sagittarius in the 9th house. I feel at home anywhere in the world. I easily adopt the customs and fit into the life of the people whose home I'm visiting, and even if my Aries disagrees individually, I have an overall feeling of belonging with the human race.
One morning in a tea shop high in the mountains of Chitral, Pakistan, my traveling companions and I met a small, wiry, energetic man who invited us to his village. We set out on what was to become one of the most unusual experiences of my life. He took us along the cold mountain stream, over rocks all day as we leapt to keep up with him. We had no idea where we were going but we trusted him completely. Dedicated followers.
At sundown we arrived at one of the strangest places I'd ever encountered, a tiny village in the state of Kafiristan. The Kafirs are not like anyone else in the world. They are thought to be descendants of Alexander the Great's army when he conquered the territory in ancient times. They are small, stunningly beautiful people, with shells and ornaments all through their hair and the most luminous smiles I'd ever seen. They were thrilled to greet us and immediately provided a hut for the night leaving us dazed by their gentleness and lightness. Soon we heard a sound outside the door and upon opening it, found no one -- just a large basket of fruit and nuts. Later that evening they joined us in the hut around the fire in the center of the room, all of us animatedly sharing so much information knowing how brief our encounter would be. I think that's when my Sagittarius planets reached the pinnacle of ecstasy, an experience that's colored my whole life.
My mother was Hungarian and came to the States when she was in her 20s. I grew up in a typical American town in both the black and white neighborhoods, easily accepting of human variation in my large tolerant multi-racial and multi-ethnic family. I don't thrive in tense, hateful environments, so when I found Denver, I knew I'd found a place I might enjoy. Denver has a Venus at 29 degrees Sagittarius square Neptune at 29 Pisces, and is perhaps the most accepting and friendly place I've been to in the US. It's no wonder this historic breakthrough is happening high in these rocky peaks.
When I moved here we had a typical bloated white establishment mayor and I paid no notice. He was inoffensive. But soon after, with about a 12% Hispanic population, an American of Mexican descent was elected, Federico Pena, with great enthusiasm. Then came another white guy. Then with about the same percentage of Blacks, an African American was elected, Wellington Webb. I thought, "These people seem to have no prejudice". I'd noticed a relaxed attitude in daily life anyway. But the real proof came when they elected Hickenlooper, a science geek, not even a politician! I can't imagine what's next.
So it's with great joy that I look forward to this revisiting of the diversity of the human race, the human trust despite very obvious differences, as Pluto transits Denver's Venus and Neptune, opening up the experience to the people of the city, the country, and the world, outside under the heavens. There's a lot to celebrate.
Reclining Buddha of Zinathukha Pagoda: Thierry Falise

17 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

That's interesting about Denver! My Mercury/Saturn conjunction, which powers my writing, is at 28 Sag/0 Cap, just past the IC.

I've changed planes in the airport and enjoyed the experience, but have never visited the city proper.

Maybe I should. And I'll bring a writing pad.

8/7/08 9:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The sign of Sagittarius reaches upward and outward, the human's first experience beyond the familiar, closed, interpersonal, when the seeker connects to the larger family, broader horizons, and finally to the god-figure.

This is how I learn best, by analogy. Rote learning doesn't do much for me but put it in a context like this and I grasp it instantly. Thank you!

We discussed once how Pluto's transit of my 7th house Sag destroyed the barriers that Saturn had placed around my 1st house, preventing me from exploring the realm of Other until it was the right time. And the sentences above instantly reminded me of this.

A rocket ship to the cosmos, inclusive, ever-expanding, and dimension altering.

And aren't you the one with the yod that rockets you right out of protective Cancer into the 9th house Sag? :o)

8/7/08 10:04 AM  
Blogger jm said...

Yeshe, bring your writing pad and do drop in! Although you might not be using it since the people here talk a blue streak. High level of education and one of the biggest book buying cities in the country. We love the word as much as diversity. Speeches are fine by us. It's quite an amazing thing being chosen for this historic event. I wonder where the orchestration truly comes from.

What a great conjunction. Those that cross signs are particularly interesting. I'm curious about your writing, if you want to reveal some things, and maybe some other astrofacts. I did notice your vocabulary. Now it makes sense. Denver's Venus snuggles right in there between the two. We love your communication.

Very very interesting with Pluto atop your chart now. What a setup for a professional writing career. No wonder you love the links! Also explains your critical faculty when it comes to others' remarks. The unending curiosity of Mercury mixed with the judgement of Saturn, hopefully with the tendency toward negative thinking turned into serious unsentimental knowledge. Lots to work with.

8/7/08 2:53 PM  
Blogger jm said...

Joe, unbelievable! you really do know how to learn. This is wonderful. You got my chart exactly. It's technichally a kite formation but it works exactly like you said.

And aren't you the one with the yod that rockets you right out of protective Cancer into the 9th house Sag? :o)

It rocketed me to the Himalayas for starters. It's amazing how much of a hermit I can be so that configuration is vital. When I'm home I never want to leave, but once I'm out, I never want to go home. I close the joints down.

My favorite, Buz Myers, used to say, "Don't ever go to the mall with your Moon in Sagittarius friend. You'll never get home". :-)

When Pluto was on my Moon I joined the online community and now I don't want to go back. We'll see where Pluto leads me in the 10th house.

You probably learn well with visual images due to your Mercury-Neptune conjunction in Sag. I have the square and I see the chart as a visual work of art.

8/7/08 3:03 PM  
Blogger jm said...

I've got a little curiosity going now. Your Merc-Saturn, yesh, is like joe's Saturn in Gemini, often issues of communication with the father and then authority figures which can work both ways. Silence/distance or criticism, or recognition of ability. Some are overpowered by the father verbally, others unable to communicate. I know joe has the gap going. There's a struggle to be listened to and taken seriously. My brother has Saturn in the third and he was outdone by my Venus-Uranus in Gemini although he got more attention in other ways with his Mars-Pluto in Leo. But to this day he works with his speaking skill. And his phone connection with me is ALWAYS bad.

Whatever the scenario, verbal communication becomes exceptionally important to the native and with Saturn, a lifetime of trial and error to get it right. Many great writers have it.

The problem can be too much rigidity and caution in trying to get it perfect, but in joe's case the opposition to Neptune adds the poetic grace and emotional appeal. I have that minus the Saturn and I can't get 2 cents for my words! We'll see when Pluto in Capricorn opposes my Mercury in the 3rd house soon. Anything's possible.

8/7/08 3:20 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

OK, jm, you're on. My stats: January 9, 1959, Bloomington, IN, 10:15 pm. Same day as Joan Baez, Simone de Beauvoir, and Richard Nixon. We will have quite the cocktail party in heaven.

I know I've got Sun in Cap trining Mars in Taurus, Moon/Venus conj in Aqu squaring Neptune in Scorpio, Chiron also in Aqu opposite Uranus in Leo; Late Virgo ASC with Pluto in early Virgo in the 12th. NNode in Libra, 1st House, that sextiles Uranus and is 5 degrees away from a Pallas/Juno conjunction. Jupiter is in late Scorpio sextile ASC.

As for Dad, get this -- I put together a chart for him on Astrodienst, ran a synastry chart for us, and BLAM! There it is -- two oppositions that pretty much describe us. He had a Pluto/Saturn conjunction (!!) directly opposite my Mercury/Saturn, crossing Gemini/Cancer. He also had a Sun/Mercury conjunction in Taurus, directly opposite my Neptune in Scorpio. I was a complete mystery to him. And with the former, he made it clear I was not to do or say anything that would make him look bad in our small university town -- while he had no problem dismissing me in public ("Don't pay any attention to her, she's our crazy artist") while I was standing right there beside him.

Whew. I had to go have a quiet screaming fit after writing that sentence. It brought up a lot. What was it Faulkner said about the past not even being past? And here I am nearly 50.

My writing is visionary, funny, scathing, poetic and tender -- sometimes all in the same paragraph. I like fiction and cinema, and have a great respect for radio news briefs, which must be dramatic yet easily spoken. I often list things in threes. Nice rhythm. I feel iambic pentameter is the natural gait of human speech.

8/7/08 11:13 PM  
Blogger jm said...

Omg! What a post. There is so much here I need a minute.

Thank you so much, yesh for the astro-info.

while he had no problem dismissing me in public

Yep. It takes you a sec but when you say what you want to, watch out. Talk about brain stimulation. Your chart is something. I'm headed to the chart room to look at it and I will return. BTW, my mother dismissed me in he same way, with some Hungarian guttural expression.

My writing is visionary, funny, scathing, poetic and tender -- sometimes all in the same paragraph.

My heart is fluttering.

I feel iambic pentameter is the natural gait of human speech.

Very very very interesting. Will ponder. The idea of a natural gait is most interesting.

9/7/08 2:44 AM  
Blogger kadimiros said...

"Mercury/Saturn"

Oh! I think it's a cool aspect. But then, I have that in early Aquarius. :-)

"Some are overpowered by the father verbally, others unable to communicate."

Interesting. My aunt recently commented to me that she had observed my father for a couple of hours in the park with my new nephew. She said, "Your father hardly talks!" I shrugged and said, "He's a pretty reticient man sometimes. It's like pulling teeth to get him to express a preference. I have to talk politics to get him to open up."

And he's got that Saturn at 29 Capricorn conjunct my Aquarian Mercury-Saturn.

jm, I thought to stop by today, between project deadlines, to check our your astropolitical commentary. I left two comments in the "Dissent and Independence" thread.

Hope everyone's been well around here!

9/7/08 9:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeshe thanks for giving your chart info. My ASC is 26 degrees Sagittarius and I'm an aspiring writer so it is a true pleasure to meet you. (I am Taurus Sun, Cap Moon with a Libra NN as well).
Again...Jm's place draws fascinating people from which to learn from!

9/7/08 9:22 PM  
Blogger jm said...

Hope everyone's been well around here!

Everyone?? Anyone? They're all floating around the ethers of Blogland. I know not exactly where. I'm well enough at the moment. Thank you eversomuch for your interest.

Merury-Saturn is fantastic once you get away from trying to extract whatever it is from the father.

Looking forward to the two comments! I feel a nagging need for some Capricorn these days. Never thought it would happen! Chrispito and yeshe have kindly obliged having those fine Cap manners!

Yes. I'm exceptionally interested in the astropolitical of late. And it's not going anywhere. The interest that is.:-)

9/7/08 11:00 PM  
Blogger jm said...

I'm highly attracted to the Cap-Aquarius energy now, so this is a treat. (Sag has always been there). The Obama's are heavily endowed with it and the times are also in favor of it. I expect to see you peeps on the rise and I'll be the first to congratulate you all on your accomplishments. I might even contribute some too. Who knows.

I'm going to settle in as soon as poss and take a look at the new connections. I know one damn thing for sure. Pluto in Capricorn square my Mars headed for my MC will not be letting me off the hook. So any of you tough disciplinarians in need of wielding influence, here I am!

9/7/08 11:09 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

jm,

You didn't go off and forget me, did you?

Houses and Planets and Angles, oh my!! ;-)

11/7/08 6:00 PM  
Blogger jm said...

Of course not yesh! Are you kidding? You?

I'll have time this weekend to absorb, digest, and discuss.

11/7/08 10:03 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Cool. See ya soon.

12/7/08 12:05 AM  
Blogger jm said...

Just looked at the chart, yesh. What a powerful Mercury, the big story, and Pluto is there now. Major transition with it entering the 4th house and headed for Saturn. You probably let yourself get bullied by people too much. With Pluto transiting the 4th for years and all your planets there it will be time for finding and living with your inner self getting ready for creative fulfillment when Pluto gets to your 5th. We'll talk later.

12/7/08 3:37 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Kadimiros --

... at 29 Capricorn conjunct my Aquarian Mercury-Saturn.

I just now re-read this. Yow, your Merc/Saturn powerlock is right on my Moon/Venus smoochie at 1 and 3 Aquarius!

Do you write? If so, what sort of stuff?

12/7/08 6:44 PM  
Blogger kadimiros said...

"...powerlock is right on my Moon/Venus smoochie at 1 and 3 Aquarius!"

"Powerlock", "smoochie" -- LOL! That's going to give me naughty mental images.

"Do you write? If so, what sort of stuff?"

Well, not professionally in the usual sense. :-) In my work, I am currently a Web developer; I write a lot of computer code.

I've dropped a few verses and poems into jm's blog at times when it seemed a more appropriate response than prose.

Mostly, I think my writing tends to the visionary, and occasionally fantastical and premonitory. They are basically translations of mental experiences with symbolic imagery. My higher education emphasized the visual arts; I am somewhat more inclined to visual than verbal expression.

12/7/08 8:15 PM  

<< Home