Tuesday, March 23, 2021

A Sound Contender

Please let me introduce myself. My name is Professor Thaddeus Knockwhistle.

I am an educator of great renown. I teach political and social structure within the ant colony at the University of West Phalange. A very interesting phenomenon occurs in ant societies which might be relevant to today's societal malaise in the wonderful country of America.

“If you catch 100 red fire ants as well as 100 large black ants, and put them in a jar, at first, nothing will happen. However, if you violently shake the jar and dump them back on the ground the ants will fight until they eventually kill each other. The thing is, the red ants think the black ants are the enemy and vice versa, when in reality, the real enemy is the person who shook the jar. This is exactly what’s happening in society today. The real question we need to be asking ourselves is who’s shaking the jar… and why?” 

Well it surely is evident that the nation is shook up. Astrologers and such might have something to say about this in a big picture, but I am not conversant in that language. I adhere to my own expertise. The "why" might be left up to the philosophers to answer, however.

Because I have knowledge of population breakdown I have decided to run for President of the United States. I pledge to find out who is shaking the jar, and I will consult with other experts as to what can be done to stabilize the nation and repair any residual damage. I will do my very very best.

13 Comments:

Blogger Tseka said...

West Phalange you say. You all might have the inside track at finding the shaker.
An interesting observation about two ant colonies shaken together.

Around here the red fire ants are quite nasty and need no excuse to attack. I can attest to the horrible night I had as their victim.

The big black ants here are master builders, they are always busy and mind their own business.

Good luck with your research, and campaign.

23/3/21 5:29 PM  
Blogger jm said...

Thank you lovely Tseka. I am very sympathetic with your red ant attack. They can be quite fearsome and unsettling to human pain receptors.

You are correct and state it well. Master builders who are busy and mind their own business. As president I plan to encourage that healthy behavior.

23/3/21 5:36 PM  
Blogger jm said...

JM here. Black ants are also flexible I've discovered. They reroute easily when thwarted. I encourage them to build elsewhere when they gather under my patio rug. Very accommodating and resilient guys, gals, and queens.

23/3/21 5:43 PM  
Blogger Tseka said...

Indeed JM diatomaceous earth is a good re-router.
Also washing ant trails with orange cleaner.

Ants are a desert nuisance.

You are very courtly professor.

23/3/21 7:29 PM  
Blogger jm said...

Really? Orange cleaner? Great information, my love. I will use it.

Courtly indeed. Much like the Queen Ant. I was well raised in a dignified manner, much to my pleasure.

24/3/21 2:19 AM  
Blogger Tseka said...

Did you know that Richard Feynman had a special fascination for ants? I stumbled across some interesting info on ants when reading Physics books by Feynman...long ago now, sorry I can't provide more specific info.

Feynman was definitely one of ours.

24/3/21 5:10 PM  
Blogger Tseka said...

Very likely “Surely You're Joking, Mr Feynman”
Just went google and a lot comes up. Fun.

24/3/21 5:13 PM  
Blogger jm said...

"It's all in the jiggle," says the scientist.

As only one of ours could proclaim.

24/3/21 6:41 PM  
Blogger Tseka said...

Ha! Ha!
Little things that jiggle, yepper.

So Feynman was def on to solving “who shake the jar” at least on one level.

24/3/21 6:56 PM  
Blogger Tseka said...

Here it seems the key to not having problems with ants is to not have cats who don't finish their dinner timely.
Like tonight for instance.

24/3/21 9:07 PM  
Blogger jm said...

Of course! The jar jiggling. He really is one of ours.
So the jar shaking is a natural force! No problem.

Our scientist is a character. Funny and animated.

"I can't explain it in a way you're familiar with, so forget it!" he says, as he continues to sort of explain. Or explain why he can't explain.
Asking why will lead you to too many places so he says. One why leads to another and there you go...completely lost. Question unanswerable.

There def was some charm in that sweet scientist.

25/3/21 2:00 AM  
Blogger jm said...

Re discipline in science....

"To know when you know and when you don't know, and what it is you know and what it is you don't know. You gotta be very careful not to confuse yourself."

Love him.

Here's another fantastic one! ... "History is fundamentally irrelevant," in expressing his belief in experimentation. My kind of guy. Much more than a scientist.

25/3/21 2:00 AM  
Blogger Tseka said...

Ja, Feynman was one of a kind.

25/3/21 7:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home