Friday, March 06, 2009

Positive, Negative, and Everything In Between

Diversity and the Human Family
Attitude is everything. Each and every one of them. Some folks have it in their minds that "being negative" is a crime punishable by censure or expulsion and inflicted by the group with great pleasure. Well tell that to electricity. Or to the forces of magnetism in the universe.
I used to be accused of being negative. No!! Yes, it's true. There is a sort of stigma and shame connected to the accusation, and that should've been a clue. But I straightened up and became positive. My aim is to please. Then I was accused of being too positive. Now I don't care since they have such a hard time deciding. I'll be here when they do. And I suppose I'm negative again, if you can figure it out.
I came from a large family, including the whole clan beyond my immediate one. My mother was a realist, raised in Hungary with that sort of Transylvanian aura common in that part of the world. My sister is a pessimist with a great spirit and sense of humor. My father was neither of the above. Nor any thing else you can think of. My brother resides in La La Land, quite successfully I might add. I am an optimist with an surgical wit and a tendency toward acidic criticism. Not a prejudiced bone in my body. I hate everyone equally.
If everybody in my family were merry and positive I think I would have done myself in. If they were all gloomy, I would have sought adoption. As it turned out, I have one the most diverse, interesting vivacious families in the world.
Aunt Ida was contentious and stubborn, with great social values and my favorite. She was criticized severely by the rest of the huge family but she's outlived most of them.
"Who cares what they think?" she asks.
And she means it.

Uncle Sammy was hated by almost everyone. I loved him. He played guitar and sang to the kids in his jockey shorts to our squealing delight. He sang with gusto -- Deep Blue Sea, Blood on the Saddle, This Land is Your Land, and so many others. Musical talent runs in my family.
Aunt Mary was truly positive and everyone loved her. Oddly, she tuned us out entirely at the end of her life in favor of several years of solitude. The effervescent curious talker became silent in her little house in the woods.
Uncle Irving was a miser, and also universally hated by the adults. But he was a comedian and the family was kept in uproarious laughter when not hating.
Aunt Charlotte was the black sheep of the tribe and negative. An interracial marriage, a retarded firstborn, children married to abusers, and neglected babies. She created beautiful oil paintings and raised one of the abused to become a gorgeous adult, normal and reasonably negative. Charlotte's ace was wisdom and understanding of the human condition.
Uncle Arnold was the best of the best. Scientific, easy-going, lovable and a master of blues piano in the key of C. Ballin' the Jack was my favorite. He was the only one who listened to my own music. Open mind and heart.
There were many others, all unique and multi-talented. So I had and still have a lot to choose from. When I'm down, I seek the sad ones to commiserate with. When I'm happy, I choose the gay ones to party with. When I'm broke I hit up the rich ones. When I'm flush, it's on me. Someone for every mood. I never could understand why people want others to really be like them.
Who the crowd selects to spit out is revealing, and the way they do it is, too. Positive takes on a different shade then. I've always liked the artistic, rebellious, anarchistic crowd since it doesn't occur to them to spit you out. Therefore ... there's more freedom. Who can I be but myself, anyway?
With Jupiter in Aquarius for awhile, expanding the quirky and the boundaries of acceptance, it could be a time for the plus and minus to unite, spark, and ignite energy in the universe. We're going to need it for Uranus in Aries. And Uranus does rule electricity.

12 Comments:

Blogger Tseka said...

What a wonderful family you have and the way you describe them is delightful. Thank you JM.

It's a wonderful reminder of our riches.
If this is Jupiter in Aquarius urging us to appreciate a wide and quirky collection human beings I'm happy, being one who has the quirky (tho not Transylvanian) aura.

6/3/09 7:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Quirky, did someone call? That was great Tseka. If it isn't unique, innovative, revolving and loving, it would not fit in my world.
Your family does sound delightful, and enjoyed hearing about them. Lovely people, thank you for sharing them with us. I hope Jupiter in Aquarius will open doors to more appreciation for all mankind. What fun we could plan together?
And I believe, if we have any moral consciousness or enlightenment, we know, {feel} that we are guilty of any wrong doings. We cannot play the victim. We have to take responsibility for our actions and the Karma that might come with it.
Wonderful insight again.

6/3/09 9:20 PM  
Blogger jm said...

My family is heavily Aquarian. They were all involved politically to the extent of even pursuing careers in social activism. They are progressive to the maximum.

We have a reckoning ahead, but I suspect that the humanitarian bonds will see us through, as you two say.

7/3/09 3:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh wow! LOVED this one!!!!!!!

SO MUCH WISDOM IN EACH DESCRIPTION!

Was a bit stunned by this! Wow! Wow! Wow!

7/3/09 5:44 PM  
Blogger jm said...

Hey ancareth.:o)

7/3/09 10:14 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Enjoyed reading about the family JM. Came on a day when I celebrated the birth on my newest grand niece little Gabrielle Rose born 7:18 am Friday. :)

8/3/09 10:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uncle Arnold was the best of the best. Scientific, easy-going, lovable and a master of blues piano in the key of C. Ballin' the Jack was my favorite. He was the only one who listened to my own music. Open mind and heart.

I am amazed at your detailed characterization of the various members of your family JM. This speaks volumes to your closeness. It was refreshing.

8/3/09 11:29 AM  
Blogger dxp said...

Very interesting, honest, and loving description of your family, and family at large. I've always been the 'black sheep'.... tho now, because of it, my daughter, nieces, and nephew think I'm very cool. Haha. Since I adore them I'll not divest them of this illusion, - not just yet. My sister will not allow mention of astrology or pretty much anything out of 'the ordinary'. I've been amused that her youngest son is actively interested and asks me questions about archetypal myths all the time.

Chiron, congrats on your grand niece - great name too.

8/3/09 2:02 PM  
Blogger jm said...

Oh that's funny. You just beat me to it dxp. I was going to say to chiron, "What a beautiful name."

My family is intellectual agnostic, and opposed to or uninterested in astrology. Except one. The Virgo. No matter. I have so much confidence in the science that it never bothers me when people are against it. I don't try to prove it unless they want proof. I wish I were that way about everything.

One of the best conversations I ever had about mythology was with a 10 year old. That's my favorite age.

8/3/09 2:34 PM  
Blogger jm said...

Interesting you should pick Arnold, duCan. He was different. The family was deep in poverty in the beginning and all the children helped build the family business. Everyone except Arnold, who became a physicist. The others couldn't go to college. But he was the youngest and by then the family could afford it. He is a gem. Also non-judgmental like my father.

He married a Polish Jew who escaped the concentration camps by posing as a nun. There are other heroic stories in my family and in so many seemingly ordinary people in this world, yet we elevate the mediocre and try to make heroes out of unadmirable people. The real heroes are walking among us unnoticed. I guess that's the way it's supposed to be, but considering those I grew up with, it's always been impossible for me to worship the country's famous.

I do think we are lacking in recognition of our own significance, at least by the crowd. Maybe that's best, since our own recognition is more genuine.

I don't know how much of a sign it is that we flood the public stage with not-good specimens. Blogland has made some pretty bad choices as far as writers and thinkers go. Very bad. Their writing is extremely stilted and hard for me to follow. Painful. It's odd to me that we long to emulate the lesser lights among us. Maybe real light needs shadow to thrive. Exposure is a curious thing. It seems to build insecurity rather than confidence, the more the public light shines. Maybe the insecurity is what led them there. The best might still be obscure.

8/3/09 2:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"He married a Polish Jew who escaped the concentration camps by posing as a nun. There are other heroic stories in my family"

I see a book or movie here. (LOL)

"yet we elevate the mediocre and try to make heroes out of unadmirable people. The real heroes are walking among us unnoticed."

"I don't know how much of a sign it is that we flood the public stage with not-good specimens."

My husband and I share the above sentiments with you JM. It irks us to see those "not-good-specimens" of humanity portrayed as heroes.

8/3/09 3:54 PM  
Blogger jm said...

Ducan I am greatly relieved to know this about you and your husband. I cannot join in the group worship. I don't see improvement so I have doubts about any great cultural Nirvana ahead. But as long as there are people like you, I am encouraged. Glad you decided to speak up.

The problem we're facing now is the group belief that we are magically nearing a Great Transformation, but most dare not go down far enough to experience what needs to be seen and felt as a prelude. Radical change requires radical circumstance. They don't want that. They don't want to face the dumpsite we live in and they're even continuing to encourage the elevation of these lesser specimens. But this is the crowd. We're supposed to trip along as is to 2012 and then - boom! - it's happened, by means of savior this time again. Any mention of truly facing it meets with disapproval. So we'll see. Circumstance determines.

When I see some good specimens, inspiring cultural output, better eating habits, and truly good leadership, I will perk up.

8/3/09 4:20 PM  

<< Home