Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Optimism

If you balance the weight and the ways of fate,
you'll find yourself in an equilibrium
If we had some ham we could have some ham 'n eggs if we had some eggs.
My uncle Arnold, an optimist.
As far as I can tell, the good things offered by life equal the bad. Yet some people are optimistic and some are pessimistic. As Pluto leaves Sagittarius and butts philosophies against one another, this basic dichotomy is up for review.
Sagittarius is traditionally associated with optimism, and I think this relates to the newfound discovery of cosmic connection and the freedom from previously perceived confines. The Sagittarian sees a great journey ahead. The anticipation of expanded dimensions fills her with enthusiasm. She packs her bag, her spirits are high.
Yet the picture presented overall seems to be one of violence, hatred, and despair, according to the daily translators of human experience. Why is the upside of this experience downplayed? Oh you can go to the mall and find a Hallmark card that flows with positive emotion, but the pain seems to dominate overall. Pessimism can easily dominate too.
There have been experiments concluding that the human brain is wired for the negative. Imagine this: place two pictures side by side, one of a garden paradise, the other of a bloody wreck of some kind. You can guess where the eye will go. Violence to the body is particularly fascinating. How many folks enjoy pictures of surgery? Just the sight of the masked physician excites the brain. There has to be sound reason for this. I would think it has to do with issues of survival and a propensity toward perceiving threat.

Here is where we run into problems. Where and what is the real threat? I don't know the reason for the confusion. Why people kill people who are no threat at all.

The pessimist foresees a troubled future, and surely all futures hold difficulty. But this type singles this out and prepares to cope, expecting the worst and preparing, maybe. He guards againt disappointment and some see a bleak path ahead for mankind.
The optimist sees opportunity and pleasure in that future and anticipates with joy what is around the bend and over the mountain. High hopes abound and disappointment is very often the result. But this doesn't affect his outlook. He copes with an uncertain future by expecting the best. This propels him forward.
There is no way of knowing how these distinctions find homes in our personalities. Together they form the perfect balance. No need to tamper with the mechanism or fear the other point of view. They go together perfectly.

When Pluto hit the USA Ascendant in Sagittarius the Trade Towers blew and sunk the country into fear and despair. I attribute this to an awakening of spirit and optimism, an inherent characteristic of this country, as Pluto transits her 1st house for the 1st time in history, establishing identity. There is no doubt that this country is deeply depressed. The people have discovered the limitations of money in an attempt to purchase a joyous life. It was brought to my attention that progressed Saturn has recently gone retrograde and this might factor into this despair.
Several years ago, when I joined the online community, there was a preponderance of negative predictions for our country's future. As Pluto is finishing, I sense a lightening of this despair. The terrorist attacks never came. People still have money in their pockets. The government is as confused as usual. And the earth is relatively stable. Some look at previous planetary cycles as indications of the future, but I've never seen this work. Each moment is too unique. So as we face an uncertain future, I think faith in what lies ahead and trust in the best guidance is the gift of Pluto through Sagittarius, especially for this young nation just recognizing herself. There will always be enough pessimists to form the perfect equilibrium.

Things aren't as bad as they are.

12 Comments:

Blogger jm said...

From my paper today:

Blue is the color of Democratic territory on the national map, but green will be the unofficial color of next summer's Democratic national Convention. Party officials are vowing to make the convention the most environmentally friendly gathering in memory.

The west spawned environmentalists way back in our history. I think this an indication of future trends. The selection of Denver for the convention.

It could be the prelude to Uranus in Aries transiting the USA 4th and a return to her pioneering roots.

20/6/07 4:51 PM  
Blogger NEO said...

Thanks for being who you are, JM. ;-) If I didn't tell you already, you are a real inspiration! This world needs much more of that.

20/6/07 9:44 PM  
Blogger jm said...

Omg, neo, thank you so much. Omg. Just when I needed your encouragement. You are an angel.

I'm spinning out a bit wondering how far I should go. If I should let loose and rip. Be myself. My bonfire self. Question answered.

I can't contain it any longer.

I got pushed fully clothed into a swimming pool tonight and I am liberated. Soaked but liberated. Talk about a Saturn in Leo return!

20/6/07 10:11 PM  
Blogger Tseka said...

Ditto
what Neo said
be the bonfire self

we love you so

20/6/07 10:37 PM  
Blogger jm said...

HONEY BUN!!!!!!!!

OMG where you have been. Be still my heart.

A big round warm hug, infinite kisses, and a welcome back. I love you.

20/6/07 10:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Things aren't as bad as they are.

Rolling on the flooring laughing, JM, I love this.

There was a line from a character in the television show "House" who said, "If I don't worry, I don't have to pray." I really liked that. Gave my emotion to the mind for a day, a day I was disposed to do nothing but worry, worry, worry about an outcome that was completely out of my control in the first place.

Bonfire self? Sounds like Aunt Mabel is stirring. I do love Aunt Mabel. :-) :-) :-) ~kj

21/6/07 4:24 AM  
Blogger Analysa said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

21/6/07 7:44 AM  
Blogger jm said...

Kj!! You got it! That was one of my best lines ever.

21/6/07 1:11 PM  
Blogger jm said...

You realize that you and the USA have the same Sagittarius ascendant, analysa.

The Ascendant is the role we play and I've mentioned often how important an element I think it is. It's our whole persona and how we survive. The more we master it, the better our lives. So America has enthusiasm and hope to export most of all. And she does. My family was the recipient of this renewed faith in life and these people know and never forget. I was raised with this love of my country. Not even overt, but there nonetheless.

It's hard for many to comprehend what it feels like for people to find refuge here, and so many do. The feeling of safety.

So America is just beginning to identify with herself. She will grow and do well. Provide inspiration.

Her infrastructure is beginning to show signs of wear and this will be addressed next.

21/6/07 1:15 PM  
Blogger Analysa said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

21/6/07 3:10 PM  
Blogger jm said...

Out of the decaying structures the new will be born and change will manifest.

Absodamlutely. It actually happens together. Happening all the time.

21/6/07 3:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was one of my best lines ever.
Absolutely! Still laughing. @;-) {{{JM}}}
kj

22/6/07 3:53 AM  

<< Home